HMCS COQUITLAM J364

 

Llewellyn Class Minesweeper

 


 

 

NO PHOTO AVAILABLE

 

 

Launched: 05 Jan 1944

Commissioned: 25 Jul 1944

Paid off: 30 Nov 1945

Sold: 1946 for civilian use

Fate: Ran aground in June, 1954

 

Built at Newcastle Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Nanaimo, BC, she was commission at Nanaimo on 25 Jul 1944.  She was employed out of Esquimalt on Esquimalt and Prince Rupert Force until the end of the war.  COQUITLAM was sold for civilian use in 1946 and re-named WILCOX.  She ran aground at Carleton Point, Anticosti Island in Jun 1954.

 


 

Photos and Documents          Ship's Company Photos          The Ship's Bell

 


 

Commanding Officers

 

Lt G.J. McNamara, RCNR - 08 Jul 1944 / 25 Jul 1944 - 03 Jul 1945

 

A/Lt Carl Gustafson, RCNVR - 03 Jul 1945 - 30 Nov 1945

 


 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

 

 


 

Former Crew Members

 

Evans, Harold James, Ch/Skpr, RCNR - 17 Jul 1944  / 25 Jul 1944 - Commissioning crew

 


 

Photos and Documents

 

Sailors on HMCS COQUITLAM J364

 

From the collection of Grant Seymour

 

This photo has also been added to the ship's company photo page for HMCS COQUITLAM

 

Courtesy of Cam Seymour

Newspaper story on the wreck of the Wilcox (former HMCS COQUITLAM J364) on Anticosti Island

 

Source: The Thorold Niagara News 27 June 2012

Wreck of the Wilcox (former HMCS COQUITLAM J364)

 

   

 

Three photos showing the remains of the Wilcox just north of the Carleton Point lighthouse on Anticosti Island, July 2015

 

Photographer Tom LaRue

Courtesy of / Tom LaRue 2015

 


 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT