For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS CH-14

Former HMS H-14

CH-14 alongside HMCS Patrician, Saint Johns, NB

From the collection of Ralph Reginald Pattison

Courtesy of David Pattison

Click on the above photo to view the full image

 

Launched: 03 July 1915

Commissioned in the RN: 1917

Paid off: 1919

Transferred to the RCN: Feb 1919

Commissioned: 01 Apr 1921

Paid off: 30 Jun 1922

Scrapped 1927

 

H-14 was launched in 1917, her specifications were: Length: 150 ft, Beam: 12 ft, Draught: 12 ft, Speed: 13/11 kts, Complement: 4 officers, 18 men, Armament: 4-18in TT. She saw service with the Royal Navy in Bermuda. On 15 Apr 1918, H-14 departed Bermuda for the Azores in a group that consisted of some 40 Allied ships led by USS Salem. Shortly after leaving port, H-14 collided with the oiler Arethusa, necessitating a return to Bermuda. H-14 was towed back to Bermuda by Conestoga on 18 Apr 1918. In Feb 1919 the Royal Navy presented H-14 and her sister ship, H-15 to the Royal Canadian Navy where they were renamed HMCS CH-14 and CH-15, respectively. Scarcely used, they were paid off on 30 Jun 1922 and placed iin the hands of caretakers at Halifax. They were sold for scrap five years later.

 

Commanding Officers

Lt Rupert Wainman Wood, RCN - 01 Apr 1921 - unk

Lt Ninian Bannatyne, RCN - 01 Jul 1922 - unk (OIC)

 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

A-B

Bannatyne, Ninian

____-____

OIC 01 Jul 1922

 

 

 

 

C-D

Donald, Colin Degge

1899-1974

Served in CH-14 1921-1922 at Lt, RCN, 1st Lt, then as Commanding Officer

 

 

 

 

W-X

Wood, Rupert Wainman

____-____

Appointed Commanding Officer

01 Apr 1921

 

 

 

 

 

Links

Ship's company photo HMCS CH-14

Through A Canadian Periscope - Canada's Submarine Heritage 1914-2014

 

Photos and Documents (below)

 

Submarines CH14 and CH15

Britain transferred these "H" class submarines to Canada to replace the worn out First World War submarines CC-1 and CC-2. Arriving in Halifax from Bermuda in 1919, the two submarines were refitted and entered Canadian service in 1921. Although these two boats were American-built, Canadian Vickers' Montreal shipyard had built similar submarines for Britain. Taken out of service in June 1922 because of budget cuts, CH-14 and CH-15 lay rusting in Halifax's Northwest Arm alongside the decommissioned light cruiser HMCS Aurora until 1927, when all three vessels were sold for scrap.

George Metcalf Archival Collection

CWM 19910109-187

Courtesy of the Canadian War Museum

Ch-14 (left) and CH-15 (right) in drydock

 

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT