For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BUXTON H96
Former HMS BUXTON
Former USS EDWARDS
Commissioned as USS Edwards on 24 Apr 1918, she saw brief service with the USN in Europe before being placed in reserve at San Diego in 1922. Re-commissioned in Dec 1939, she was given an overhaul, and from Apr to Sep 1940, was on Neutrality Patrol in the Gulf of Mexico and off the east coast of the U.S. On 08 Oct 1940 she was commissioned HMS Buxton at Halifax and assigned to local duties, since serious defects prevented her from crossing the Atlantic. Following a major refit at Boston from Jul to Sep 1941, she made her first transatlantic crossing in Oct 1941, only to undergo further repairs at Chatham, U.K. which kept her idle from Dec 1941 to Apr 1942. Returning to Canadian waters in Aug 1942, she was assigned to WLEF, but her defects persisted and she was taken to Boston in Dec 1942 for further repairs. These repairs completed, she arrived at St. John's on 30 Mar 1943, to rejoin WLEF, three months later becoming part of its newly formed EG W-1. Continuing sickly, Buxton was offered to the RCN for training purposes and arrived at Digby in Dec 1943, having been commissioned on 04 Nov 1943 at Halifax. She continued as a stationary training ship until paid off 02 Jun 1945, at Sydney, and was broken up the same year at Boston.