For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BEAUHARNOIS K540
Then Merchant Vessel COLON (1946)
Then INS WEDGEWOOD (1948)
Then INS HaSHOMER
Built at Quebec City, Beauharnois was commissioned there on 25 Sep 1944. She arrived at Halifax on 20 Oct 1944 and left for Bermuda on 06 Nov 1944 to work up. On 30 Nov 1944 she sailed from Bermuda for St. John's where she joined EG C-4, leaving on 09 Dec 1944 to pick up her first convoy, HX.324. She was employed on North Atlantic convoys for the next few months, the last one being ONS.45, for which she left Londonderry on 23 Mar 1945. Among her last duties was acting as escort to the cable vessel Lord Kelvin off Cape Race in May. She was paid off on 12 Jul 1945 and laid up at Sorel. Sold for mercantile purposes in 1946, she was renamed Colon, but became a warship again when she was acquired by the Israeli navy. Beauharnois was sold to the Israeli Navy in 1948. Commissioned as INS Wedgewood K18 on 09 Jun 1948, she was later renamed INS HaShomer. She was paid off by the Israeli Navy in 1954 and broken up in Israel in 1956.