For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

Fisherman's Reserve Vessel TALAPUS FY11

Then Dept. of Mines & resources Vessel PARRY

Then MV Parry

MV Parry (former Fishman's Reserve vessel Talapus FY11) - 09 Oct 2012

Source: Blog Tugboats, Tugboats, Tugboats

Courtesy of / Paul den Ouden 2012

Click on the above photo to view a larger image


Delivered to RCN: 02 Jul 1941

Paid off: 1945

Fate: Sold to commercial use. As of 2016 MV Parry is still in use as a charter vessel on the central and north BC Coast.


Built by Armstong, Victoria, BC, Talapus was one of 6 vessels built for the Fisherman's Reserve as the Nenamook class patrol craft, to replace some of the less suitable vessels. Using blueprints from a redesign of large seiners, the interiors were adjusted to suit a crew of 18. Built for the Fisherman's Reserve, they were equipped for ASW and were armed with depth  charges, ASDIC and small arms. In 1947 she was transferred to the Dept of Mines & resources for hydrographic survey work. She was later sold to Cloverleaf Shipping. At some point in 1947 she was renamed Parry. The Parry spent some years working for the Hydrographic Service, charting the B.C. coast. She was eventually converted to a charter boat, and now does fishing charters on the central and north BC coast for Westwind Tugboat Adventures. A rare but magnificent sighting on Malaspina Strait


Commanding Officers

Cox'n Martin Charlebois (FR), RCNR - 30 May 1942 - unk

Skpr/Cox'n William Ralph Hall, RCNR - 01 May 1943 - unk

Lt Paul Quentin, RCNVR - 03 Apr 1944 - unk


     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten


Former Crew Members

Nordin, Harry Alexander, Slt, RCNVR - 03 Apr 1944