For Posterity's Sake
Canadian Navy Historical Project
CNAV WILDWOOD YMR-2 (1945)
WILDWOOD YTL 553 (1946)
Source: Flickr photo collection of Don
Entered Service: 22
Removed from Service:
Fate: Sold in 1996 to
private interests and converted to a yacht.
Built by Falcon Marine Industries, Victoria,
BC, she was assigned to Esquimalt on 22 May 1944 as an
anti-submarine target towing
vessel. In 1956 Wildwood was converted into a torpedo recovery
vessel with stern mounted slides and rollers and re-designated YMR-2.
She spent many years until 1991 at the Canadian
Forces Maritime Experimental Test Range, Nanoose Bay as a Torpedo
Recovery Vessel. After being removed from service in 1996, she was
sold to private interests and converted to a yacht.
Photos and Documents
- From Naval Yardcraft to Yacht
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be
Source: A History of the West Coast Canadian
Forces Auxiliary Fleet
Photo credit: CFMETR Yearly Historical Report
Wildwood while serving as a Canadian Naval Auxiliary Rigged for
recovering torpedoes at the Nanoose Test Range on the east coast of
Vancouver Island. She was rigged with special gear to recover
torpedoes fired on the test range.
HOME PAGE SHIP INDEX