For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

RCAF NIMPIKISH M.535

CNAV NIMPKISH

Then CFAV NIMPKISH YMR 120

Then NIMPKISH II (after 1991)

 

No Photo Available

 

 

Built: 1944 

Entered in to service: 

Removed from service: 23 Oct 1991

Fate: Sold 14 Feb 1992

 

Built by Vancouver Shipyards in 1944, Nimpkish was a Second World War RCAF supply vessel that was used to supply RCAF coastal stations on the west coast. From approximately 1953 to 1960 she operated under the designation M.535 at RCAF station Holberg. In 1961, folloiwng the arrival of the first YFP ferry boat from Esquimalt known as nimpish II, she was transferred to the RCN and then the auxiliary fleet. As a CNAV, she was converted to a buoy monitoring and retrieval vessel for use at the UWR at Patricia Bay for the testing and development of air-dropped sensors. On 30 Jun 1975 the Patricia Bay Range was shut down and Nimphisk YMR 120, was refitted and transferred to the Nanoose Bay range. She operated out to the Nanoose Bay range until removed from service in 1991. She was sold and refitted as a private pleasure craft - renamed Nimpkish II (not to be confused with the YFP Nimpkish II that operated out of Holbert in the 60s and 70s.)

 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT