For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMS MANSFIELD G76
On 23 October 1940 the Evans was decommissioned from the USN and commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Mansfield G76. Between Dec 1940 and Mar 1942 she was on loan to the exiled Royal Norwegian Navy. After being returned to the RN, she was modified for North Atlantic escort duty and while remaining as part of the RN, she was transferred to the operational control of the RCN and served with the Western Local Escort Force based on Halifax and St. John's. With newer escorts available, in November 1943 she was reduced to care and maintenance service at Halifax, and on 22 June 1944 she was paid off. Her bell, engraved USS EVANS, is on display at the Naval Museum of Halifax.