For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS CHARNEY Z26
Former HMCS CARTIER Z26
Former CGS CARTIER
Former HMCS CARTIER
Former Dominion Gov't Ship CARTIER
Built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Newcastle, she was a Dominion government hydrographic survey ship that served as an armed patrol vessel on the east coast during the First World War. Cartier reverted to government service between the wars, but was commissioned as a training ship at Halifax on 18 Sep 1939. She was renamed Charney on 09 Dec 1941 to avoid confusion with the newly established Naval Reserve base in Montreal, the NCSM Cartier. As the Charny, the ship received to Mentioned in Despatches for her crews work in RADAR research and training, once as a target and again as a tracking vessel. Paid off on 12 Dec 1945, she was reported derelict in 1957 and scuttled at Sydney, N.S. Her specifications were: Length: 164 Ft, Beam: 29 ft, Draught: 13 ft, Speed: 12 kts, Complement: 60, Armament: 3-12prds.